Several baby plovers greeted us on our arrival at Wellington Point. We invited 2 passer-bys to view them and 2 tracts went out. Then Glenda, from the Warwick crew, joined with us to make a team of 7. Praying, we went forth and among the prayer points:
- About 16 young Asians were in one rotunda and one had a t-shirt marked, 'anti-anti-social club'. Entering their midst and mentioning that shirt's message soon led to tracts being handed to each one. These were read and they indicated that they wished to resume their social activities without the team. Asking for a little time to explain the message to one interested lady, they all ended up hearing the law and gospel. May our Lord be pleased to grant repentance and faith as He sovereignly has purposed.
- Shaun's room-mate had recently encouraged him to read the O.T. After some apologetics and presenting the law and gospel, Shaun said that he needed to read the Bible before making any commitment. Ryan suggested that his love for sin was his real reason to delay; to which Shaun agreed. Ryan urged him to read Genesis then the N. T. Pray that Shaun gets an urgency to respond to the gospel. As we all know, eternity may be the next breathe away!
-- An Asian couple with a SDA friend who had been encouraging this couple to become Christians were still unconverted but had received a Bible. Taking them through the law and gospel, they indicated that they were living for now. They were warned that this is a most foolish attitude to have.
- A mature age man who had been in the Presbyterian church in the 1970s but he said that they never majored on Jesus so he left. He was pleased to hear that that is not the case today. He was further impressed with the fact that a Presbyterian (within Operation 513) was on the 'street' witnessing for the glory of God. He reads his Bible daily but was encouraged to rejoin a fellowship. (Each Christian is united to Christ and to every other member of that body = we need fellowship...)
As always, there was more so join with us in praising our Lord God Almighty for His work of saving His people and let us continue to give Him all glory.
The 2 teams today mainly operated from the shade of the trees on the east and west sides of the point. Amongst the visitors, we dealt with quite a few polite Maoris as they came up from the swimming zone on the western side. In one of the the eating areas, there were many Asians who were mainly using their phones instead of conversing with one another. Approaching the 'headman' one team was asked what they wanted. It was explained that it was about being reconciled to God. He said that they were not religious. It was pointed out that if God's message was true that eternal life was involved. They needed to consider the message. Many tracts were distributed before that team moved on.
There is a prayer request for a Miss T who was raised in a Mormon household but was not committed herself. She was informed of the 'false jesus' of the Mormon cult and how the Bible alone was God's revelation. Now she has been shown/told the law and gospel. Pray that she seeks the true God and Saviour and God grants her the grace to repent and believe.
We give all glory to God that we were able to do what He enabled us to do: give out His Word without compromising His truth.
The Lord had us operate in 3 pairs.
- The ladies encountered 2 young Indian men, Mr. Q & Mr. A. Mr. Q had to excusehimself as he received a phone call from India. Mr. A did not beleive there is a God. Eventually he disclosed that his whole family was under a 'black magic' curse (his description). He did not seem to be able to grasp the message of salvation. Mr. Q. returned and stated that he did not want to miss out on the fun of sin ( Oh, the deceitfulness of sin). Another team member joined in the conversation and again went through the law and the gospel. By now, the agnostic seemed to be a theist and the funlover had some new thoughts to consider. Both men took John's gospel. May our Lord speak to them 'wonderful words of life'.
- one pair had a long chat with 2 J.Ws. who appreciated being spoken to tactfully even though they were seriously challenged, including in 2 major areas:
- Eph. 2:8,9 to which they commented, "There must be more to it than just this."
- How can there be 2 sources of revelation that do not agree with one another, i.e. the Watchtower Society publications and the Bible?
Pray that they are stirred up in their spirits to seek the truth that will make them free.
- There seemed to be a larger proportion of Indians here today and they willingly took tracts. The witnessing concluded just as the rain came in.
Thanks be to God for the indescribable riches of his grace to us and to Him be all the glory.
Glory to God! He makes His work of telling forth His good news so interesting. The various chats today amply illustrate this fact.
- An Arabic family, Mark & Ruba (sp?) were wanting to teach their children the Truth. They were firm that only the Bible had this Truth. They are searching, e.g. Who is Dt. 18:18 referring to? (Answer in Acts 3:22 in context plus Mt. 17:5 + Jn. 8:31,32), and at present have no religion. The girls had a long chat with them, including the law (he thought that he was good enough) and the gospel.
The final words to them were encouraging them to read their Bible asking God to reveal Himself to them, and recommending that they attend a church near to them - a specific one was nominated. They had a question whether they would be welcomed since they are not Christians. They were assured them that they would be most welcome. Pray that the Lord brings them to saving faith in Christ Jesus.
- Aileen and Izzy had been discussing eternal things and have now heard God's glorious plan of salvation. Receiving a gospel of John each, pray that they make a true commitment to follow Jesus, Lord and Saviour.
- Anthony started out stating that he only believed in what he could see. Pointing to a building, Ryan stated that someone had built that building. Even though Anthony had never seen that builder, he still knew there was a builder. Anthony agreed. Going through the law and gospel, he reverted again to his 'no sight, I do not believe' position. He was challenged that his desire to live life the way he choose as being the reason he would not trust Christ alone. Pray he considers the horrors of eternity without any comfort as his outcome for living his life without Christ now.
God uses us in our imperfections and so we freely give Him all the glory for whatever He does in each encounter; whether it is passing out tracts, having a brief or long conversation or whatever transpires. What a honour and privilege to serve Him who first loved us.
The Lord gave us a pleasant winter's day and we were pleased to welcome a new worker )for the second time) in the Lord's (Mt. 9:38) harvest! Please pray for:
- Daniel, an Asian who had never heard and said that he loved knowledge. Being introduced to God's moral standard for mankind, he admitted his lying. After going through the gospel message, he thought that maybe here was too much knowledge. However, praise God, when it was stressed to him that his future will be either eternal life with God or in God's eternal prison, he said that he will check it out. Pray that he does read the Bible and that God opens his mind to understand his great need for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ; to trust in Him alone.
- thank God for two different Christian couples who encouraged us in this aspect of God's work; one couple follows Operation 513 0n Facebook.
- a teenage lass, Frankie, who was very open and intends to respond now. Pray that she counts the cost and makes a serious commitment to follow Jesus.
- John, a supposed Christian, who had believed in Jesus for a long time; after all, wasn't He sent to save us?. However, John has remade in his own mind so that Jesus is fallible, a sinner. Now, as an aging man John neither fellowships nor changed his mind when shown Heb. 4:14,15 that our great High Priest never sinned. He was challenged to read and study Eph. 2. May God humble him and grant him the grace to repent and trust in the sinless Saviour.
To God be the glory for He alone is worthy to be praised.
Many people were out enjoying the beauty of the area, but not many were willing to stop and discuss spiritual matters. The ones whom God sent to us were of a different attitude, e.g.
- Lee-Anne had a long chat with a David who believed in God but was not a Christian. Getting to the reality of hell, he expressed a very deep concern that he might end up there. After hearing the good news, he stated that he was checking the message out.
- Railee had a long chat with a Daphne who had attended a U.C. but said she had never heard the gospel. She had no concept of eternal life/death. After being taken through the law and gospel and shown how the Bible is God's Word, she received a gospel of John and a few tracts to consider what she had heard.
- Ryan had an Aladdin who heard it all, said it made sense and needs to receive God's love gift in the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ and trust His work alone to qualify him for glory.
- A young man, Brendan, overtook me as we walked from where we were parked down to the Point. He had some head knowledge and now understands how the gospel flows. He is referred to Romans for studying the gospel and John's gospel for the deity of Jesus.
God encouraged us by making the beautiful day even more glorious for us and hopefully some of those He sent to us, "Today is the day of salvation". God is building His Church and His work is always perfect. Praise Him!
A quieter day than most in trying to converse with people but the Lord provided an interesting variety including:
- Yana, a German lass here for another 2 weeks who revealed that she was a Universalist. Ryan took her through some apologetics and the law and gospel patiently reworking those points that needed to be clarified in her understanding. At the conclusion, she took a gospel of John to check out what she had heard. [It was also unusual in that it is mainly families or couples that come here and Yana was by herself.]
-high school students, Blake had a R.C. education and a view that all religions are the same. The lass, McKenzie, listened as the Bible's unique message of salvation through repentance from dead works, Heb. 6:1 and trusting in Christ and His finished work of atonement for the sins of His people, Mt. 1:21 so that God's justice is fully satisfied and the sinner can now ask God to grant him forgiveness of all his sins and receive remission. They left with John's gospel and a statement that they would download a Bible.
No effort that is fuelled by God's grace is wasted in God's sovereign economy. Let us work while it is day and keep giving.God all the glory.
What awaits those who die unrepentant? A.A. Hodge had this chilling thought on hell: the sinner experiences an ever-increasing depravity of soul and self-accusing remorse! Thankfully we serve a gracious God who has provided the only Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, who is able to save completely all those who come to God through Him. Please pray for:
Our 2 lady coworkers in the gospel talked with Georgia and Jordan who seemed to understand the gospel and said that they had 'got into the wheelbarrow' as per the Blondin story, or more orthodoxly expressed as 'they had trusted Jesus to save them from their sins. Later, they walked around the point where Ryan started talking with them. When he asked them to explain "what one had to do to get to heaven", they said, "Trust in God'. He found it useful to take them through the law and gospel again. Pray the sinfulness of sin is unveiled to them.
Abel and friend Ethan heard the good news. Ethan had some casual objections that he stated. He is in no rush to deal with Jesus. They had the fact of eternal life or death emphasized to them. They also need to read God's Word and see how a holy God cannot allow any imperfections in His home. Now is the time to repent. Today is the day of salvation.
Other conversations challenged the inconsistencies of various people having false world views. Pray God stirs them up to seek the Truth.
Praise God. His glorious truth is once again gone forth - the power of God for salvation to those who believe. We acknowledge that we can do nothing but our duty and that by His gracious enabling and always through the Mediator, Jesus Christ. Maranatha!
Our triune God gave us 3 co-workers in the gospel who set out as those who have asked for and been granted "...refuge under the shelter of Your wings!", Ps. 61:4.
Most people took a 'Happy Easter' tract but not many were going to stop to chat, except those whom the Lord had appointed to stop this day.
- Three young couples passed by with a "We don't bother about things like heaven and hell." Have they been blinded by the empty idea of reincarnation. We noticed them later wading in the shallows. May the Lord awaken such careless sinners to their present state of condemnation - Jn. 3:36!
- Terry, a war veteran, had a conversation with 1 of us which was continued by another one of us. He was quite willing to speak out his concerns about a possible start soon to World War 3 and problems in the world. However he 'had to leave' when the talk was turned towards the greatest crime (from a human perspective) man has ever committed; the murder of the Righteous One, Jesus Christ. He would not listen past the declaration that God brought good out of this event.
How can someone be so hard that they will not even listen to God's good news? (Gen. 8:21 Our Lord's pronouncement. "..for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth." - Noah's flood of judgment did not change man's fallen nature & neither will the final judgment.)
- Mae received a tract and asked if it was about Jesus of whom they had heard a little. Husband Ming and children Sam and Eric were present throughout this conversation. This was the first time they had heard the good news. So we went on our rejoicing and as we walked and prayed we were giving God all the glory and thanking Him for the privilege of serving Him and being used of Him.
Doesn't the Lord's leading amaze us? The members of the team numbered 2. Paul was busily handing out tracts until there were no more to hand out. Ryan spent a major part of the time talking to a lady named Win who turned out to be very syncretistic.
This lady had encountered 2 other usual team members during the last fortnight at a doctor's surgery and had eagerly listened to a disclosure on Jesus Christ in His office of Mediator. However, her personal standing was not disclosed except she had been very 'bad' and had been baptized in the recent past at Wellington Point.
When she could not find those two at Wellington Point today, she saw the two team members that were there to find out why. Soon Win was asked a diagnostic question which she answered like, "I leave those things to God!" Pursuing the law and gospel and showing her verses like John. 1:1 brought an angry rejection and her self-justification that was very confused. She said that God was the universe.
So the time ended and we ask the Lord to bring sanity into Win's life by granting her the twin graces to repent and trust Jesus Christ alone. Remember Jesus said that with respect to salvation nothing is impossible for God. To Him alone be the glory! Amen.
Page 1 4